Friday, July 24, 2009

festivals















I have found myself ducking out of invitations to festivals. Dragonfest starts in a few days and I am glad that I am working and cannot go.

This has bothered me somewhat. Am I anti-social? No, not really. I am not into partying much, but I socialize with a small group of friends and sometimes a large group.

Am I hiding in the broom closet? No, not really. I don't go around with a pentacle pinned to my chest, but if you ask, I will tell you my beliefs. I find that this doesn't come up any more as a Pagan than it did when I was Catholic, which is to say it is a non issue.

It hit me tonight....paganism is my spiritual life, not my social life.

This is in no way a judgement against those who love the festivals. Go and have a wonderful time.
But for now I will bow out, and not feel guilty about it.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, this seems to say so much more than what was written here. Almost as if I see a little girl standing with her hands firmly planted on her hips, and saying, "So there!"

    Or, am I misreading this? What is about the festivals that you do not enjoy? What is it about the atmosphere that you do not want to participate in and with?

    Is it those who wear their Paganism like a badge to be different and prove how special they are? That sort of thing irks me at times...

    So, just wondering what it is for you? Although, I agree with you that socializing in a small group of those who are cared for and familiar is a much more appealing way to invest my time.

    Bright Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't dislike festivals. I was just thinking about why I don't want to go right now. I think I don't like the idea that you are SUPPOSED to go. Kind of reminds me of why you are SUPPOSED to go to the church bazaar....to prove that you are really a good card carrying member of the congregation.
    I think I separate my pagan spiritual life from my pagan social life.....right or wrong...it was kind of a revelation for me. I think many people mesh them together. I didn't realize how much I separate them.
    This is a navel gazing sort of post....don't read too much into it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit to having a giggle when I saw the picture posted here. I've never seen a Maypole dance where everyone is circling the pole in the same direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never gaze at anyone else's navel...it seems to make them uncomfortable...I just gaze at my own and wonder about everyone else. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this, as I don't go to festivals or any meetings with other Pagans either. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "paganism is my spiritual life, not my social life" This is so true for me! I think that although paganism is a very important part of my life, it is not my whole life, there is more to us than that. That is just my perspective on it - I am sure some people will disagree with me!

    Thanks for making me think about it!

    ReplyDelete